[LAD] what does "full range" mean with regard to ambisonics and speakers?

From: Bearcat M. Şandor <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 05:40:28 EEST

Folks,

I'm a recovering audiophile. When i was reading the magazines and
reading about over priced (in my now opinion) speakers, the words "full
range" tended to mean that a speaker was reasonably flat from 20 Hz to
20 kHz. Granted those were unusual.

I have read that speakers in an ambisonic set up should be "full range".
I'd like to set up a ambisonic speaker system (8 channel to start), and
the prospect of 8 full range channels is daunting. Since it seems they
would be stand or wall mounted (at least some of them) that means
monitors and subwoofers. Since all channels must be the same, that means
8 subwoofers...somewhere in the room.

So what does "full range" mean usually and what does it mean in terms of
talk on this list?

Thanks,

Bearcat