Re: [LAD] what does "full range" mean with regard to ambisonics and speakers?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 01 2010 - 06:57:29 EEST

Hi,

On Saturday 31 July 2010 04:40:28 Bearcat M. Şandor wrote:
> I'm a recovering audiophile. When i was reading the magazines and
> reading about over priced (in my now opinion) speakers, the words "full
> range" tended to mean that a speaker was reasonably flat from 20 Hz to
> 20 kHz. Granted those were unusual.
>
> I have read that speakers in an ambisonic set up should be "full range".
> I'd like to set up a ambisonic speaker system (8 channel to start), and
> the prospect of 8 full range channels is daunting. Since it seems they
> would be stand or wall mounted (at least some of them) that means
> monitors and subwoofers. Since all channels must be the same, that means
> 8 subwoofers...somewhere in the room.
>
> So what does "full range" mean usually and what does it mean in terms of
> talk on this list?

I realized that my jbl-speakers I use additionally to my alesis are a little
light on the lower end. So I (mis-)used ambdec's crossover to give me one
matrix with the 100Hz and above for the whole setup and one matrix for below
100Hz that just contains and feeds the main alesis speakers. Works pretty well
as far as I am concerned...
Of course, each speakers signal is also feed through jconvolver with a drc-ir
to make it sound superb (as opposed to just the plain good sound of the
speakers).

I think that full-range in the sense of ambisonics just means (a) that its
more then the little rear--satellites you find in 5.1/7.1 and (b) that every
speaker is supposed to get (and reproduce) the whole spectrum according to its
abilities.

Have fun,

Arnold