Re: [LAD] what does "full range" mean with regard to ambisonics and speakers?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 22:38:49 EEST

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 08:17:03PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> sending high-passed WXYZ and full-range higher orders to the tops
> won't work well, i guess. if you want to take care of the
> band-splitting in your mixer, your best bet would be ganged
> high/low-pass filters for all the orders. if you have the time,
> gear, and expendable ph.d. student labor at hand, it would be fun to
> try three- or four-way systems with an increasing number of speakers
> as the frequency goes up.
> but since the most expensive part for massive ambi systems is the
> amping, that's probably an economic dead-end, at least for now.

A separte VLF decoder is one of the features I want in the next
generation Ambdec. The question I'm asking myself is how much
'configurability' this requires. It's no problem adding the
filters that would perform a 'perfect' split of VLF and the
rest. But then you have to consider the response of the units
themselves - many subs have their own filters, and the LF
response of the 'full range' speakers can't be assumed to be
really flat in the crossover region. A really good xover has
to take into account the response of the two systems it is
driving. All suggestions are welcome...

Another question to two (Joern and Fernando) AMB nerds: does
a multicnannel AMB aware dynamics processor make sense ? When
would you use it ? I'm asking because one of the plugins I'm
developing could be exactly that. ATM it's just compression
(with real RMS response), but the full version will have a
noise gate as well, Do you need such a thing ? Current plans
are that the full version will be mono/stereo only.

Ciao,

--
FA
There are three of them, and Alleline.