Re: [LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 08:43:50 EEST

On August 9, 2010 08:53:21 pm Tim E. Real wrote:
> One more thing: Because of my use of gtk_adjustment_get_page_increment()
> and friends, which require gtk+ 2.14, I think it may be necessary to
> release this as a separate program than envy24control.
> There may be people out there with old setups who need the old one.
> The ALSA folks may not like replacing the old one with mudita24 for
> that reason.
> Those newer functions are absolutely required for these new scale markings.
> Without them, I can't do it.
Sorry. That's not entirely true.
We know the page and step increments beforehand.
What was I thinking? I was trying to unify and simplify the new handlers.

So I will try to remove that dependency, at least.
But I still think a program separate from envy24control
 just might be necessary.

----
P.S. I studied the chip metering and code in detail.
Now I understand what you said about it.
Nice work on the scale conversion and display, Niels.
I will try to align them with the slider scales better, by
 shrinking them a bit.
Had some thoughts about the meters.
Take the inputs as an example:
The meters currently show pre-fader levels.
I find that a bit odd. ie Adjusting the slider doesn't actually
 change the meter level.
So by multiplying (er, subtracting?) the meter value by
 the slider attenuation value, we can have post-fader meter display.
Sound good?
Now, of course we need pre-fader display as well
 (we still need to know the unadjusted pre-fader level coming in)
So I thought, either we have a pre/post fader toggle switch,
 or more interesting, we add meters to the DAC and ADC
 analog volume sections! But IIRC the routing has to be accounted
 for in that situation, or something like that.
It's late. I'll remember tomorrow. Just toying with ideas.
Probably the pre/post fader toggle switch is the best idea.
Tim.