[LAD] You guys don't make nearly enough sense as you should to me :")

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 22:55:41 EEST

  Fons just wrote "as far as i'm concerned, it would be cool to have
some help creating a "hybrid" matrix like i described to bearcat, to
avoid having to run separate ambdecs for tops and subs. the most
important thing would be another gain coefficient to match the subs to
the tops, similar to what you already have to tweak the two
psychoacoustic bands."

gain coefficient....what? I know that makes sense to the lot of you but
not to me. I'd like to fix that.

I love sound and i'm genuinely interested in sound theory, audio
recording, the effects of sound on the body and ambisonics. My problem
is that some of the things said on this list come across as Frontier
Gibberish because though i have the background in it as a hobby i don't
have the training or education (mine is in computer programming not
audio). Reading up on ambisonics lots of it is technical and i'd like
to be able to understand it.

So i want to educate myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for books
or what have you that i could pick up to give me a basic feel for how
all this works, basic accoustic sound theory? Should i pick up a book on
algebra 2 first? (i'm not a math-wiz. I finally passed Algebra 1 on the
2nd try). If i were to look at a college course for what books they
use, what course titles would i be looking for?

I probably won't get to the knowledge level of Fons or Jorn by reading
books an messing around with my equipment, but i'd sure like to try.

For what it's worth English is my first and last language when talking
about reading material.

Thanks folks. I appreciate it.