Re: [LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 14 2010 - 23:51:51 EEST

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:19:33AM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> The big issue with having the full 144dB range is that the "business"
> end of the slider is all at the top,

I've never seen a real fader that has any practical resolution
below -80 dB: the next tick, 5mm or so down, is 'Off'. And most
don't even go down that much.

> Since the goal of input monitoring is to record as much signal as
> possible w/o clipping, the peak-metering makes sense for the inputs,
> but the suggested signal ranges don't. On an individual track, I'm
> not sure I'd want to leave a 3dB "red zone" based on reading the
> peak-values from the audio stream.

Right. For recording you'd better leave a margin of 15 dB or so.
Increasing the recorded level (assuming your software records 24
bit or floats) is not going to improve your S/N ratio at all -it
is determined by the preamp, not by the level on the 'tape'.

> Maybe this kind of metering and cue-routing doesn't exist on any of
> the hundreds of boards Fons has used, but it's certainly present on
> all the Mackie's (and many DJ mixers) I've used, .... so it's somewhat
> expected "home studio" and "small studio" functionality -- and the
> ice1712's target market.

I hope that nobody is going to use the soundcard's mixer to do a
real mixdown - not if you have software like Ardour. The purpose
of the soundcard's mixer is to provide monitoring while laying
tracks, and function performed on a real mixer by the AUX busses.
I never have seen a mixer that has solo on the AUX busses.

For this kind of monitoring and this card you have two options:
one stereo monitor, or two mono ones. For the first you'd want
panpots. For the second you'd want two separte gains.
The compromise is what I proposed: one gain control and just L
and R buttons instead of full panning. This works well in both
cases.

Ciao,

--
FA