Re: [LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 22 2010 - 00:31:10 EEST

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Tim E. Real <termtech@rogers.com> wrote:
> We give the user AFM buttons and three runtime options:
>  1: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-48dB before off.
>  2: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-60dB before off.
>  3: Meter and slider minimum are both ~-144dB before off.

-0 (see below)

Any chance option #1 can be the default?

> Again, the meters would have to be split into L/R when AFM is on (ugh!).

-1

If you must go this route (and ultimately, IMHO, the PFL/AFLfeature is
not high on my desires list) consider a single level/slider and a
panpot for L/R and have the meter (which is really a computed
"virtual" value anyways) track the level slider.

IMHO, the dual slider per channel configuration we have now is
confusing and adds a lot of clutter.

> The master meters would remain the same at -48dB min.
> (There's no master level controls to add their attenuation to the meters.)
>
> One unsightly thing would be that with AFM off (or slider near 0dB),
>  the entire meter section below -48dB comes on at once, and we're
>  sort of back at square one - too much space.

Consider getting rid of the -144dB option, and even the -48dB option,
and focus on doing the -60dB option well. That's only 12dB of "too
much space" that comes on or off at once and it's sort of like a large
visual "signal present" indicator.

Since this app comes up with a fixed size, what about, if the user
stretches the app vertically, then it'll expose the longer sliders but
leave the meters the same. That way, by default the app comes up
looking ok, but if the user needs to test their dog's hearing or
something by dialing in sounds under -48dB, they can stretch the app
to reveal the longer sliders. Note that very few digital mixers out
there worry about levels under 60dB, so if it adds much complexity (or
potential for bugs) you might consider skipping it. See the snapshots
of some digital mixers below for example.

> Oh well, but at least there's the potential to actually use the space.
> How else can we solve it? It'll look bad with short meters fixed at min -48dB.

See above. Make it simple, at least for the user, and then for you as
well. Also, it won't look as bad if you use the extra space below the
meter for the panpot, and just use a single slider filling the entire
vertical space of its container.

Note a few screenshots of mixers with slider markings that stop at
-60dB or less:
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/images/Yamaha_mg206cusb.jpg
(sliders stop at -45 ... last marking -40dB ... )
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/makebigimage2-37025ddc209ff173260706e6efa40a0f.jpg
(Yamaha 01V 96 -- sliders go down to -50dB -- drool, esp in
combination w/ a Terratec EWS88D or Event EZ8 ).
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/130180d1248890612-post-pictures-your-portable-recording-equipment-100_0616.jpg
( Yamaha LS9 -- goes down to -60dB )
http://sneaker.fm/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/imagemackiemixer.jpg
( Mackie Onyx -- goes down to -60dB )