Re: [LAD] Mixer GUI for EMU 10k cards

From: Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 28 2010 - 22:40:18 EEST

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 10:06 -0400, Camilo Polymeris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A long ago, I said on this list (I think), I had the intention to write
> a graphical mixer/router for the EMU 10k cards (EMU 1212m & EMU 1616m).
> I wanted to make a nice, well-written, full-featured app with routing
> levels and eventually effects and all, but couldn't figure out all the
> intricacies of the card's driver.
>
> So, over the last two nights I hacked together a simple "Matrix"-style
> app, very ugly in code, but functional, for me, at least.
>
> I won't have time to maintain it, but if you want to try it out, at the
> end of this message you'll find links to a screenshot, the source
> package and an x86_64 build. You'll need Qt & ALSA libraries, of course.
> Be aware that many features are missing, but basic routing works. I'll
> put up a version control repo when I have time.

Done: http://code.google.com/p/emutrix/

Also added a few tests and some "sane" defaults.

Warning: if you run it, it will turn a lot of your levels down, and some
up. Should be easy to correct afterwards with alsamixer, but to be on
the safe side, store your driver configuration with

alsactl -f mixer.bak store

before testing.

It is also worth mentioning that the program ignores all those pesky
"PCM Multichannel Routing/Volume" and similar mixer elements. If they
are not set as per driver default, it may not work. If someone has any
idea how those work, please explain.

Greetings,
Camilo