Re: [LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 01:59:47 EEST

On Thursday 09 September 2010 00:32:18 Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 09/08/2010 11:37 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > http://positron.physik.uni-halle.de/~arnold/fadercolors-system_colors-won
> > ton.png
> > http://positron.physik.uni-halle.de/~arnold/fadercolors-system_colors-ob
> > sidian.png
>
> Sorry but wouldn't it be clearer with tiny level bars, instead of colors?
>
> http://testing.samalyse.com/lad/widgets/numbers.png
> http://testing.samalyse.com/lad/widgets/numbers.svg

Hm.

No. The left-to-right level-bars imply a left-to-right movement to change the
values.

And one of the reasons to do the color-thing is space. If I hide the text and
only show it when the mouse hovers, I can fit a lot of mixing-nodes on screen.
A horizontal (or vertical) bars needs more space to have a comparable
resolution.

I like the idea of hiding the mouse during value-changing moves. I already
have these "sliders" react to the mouse-movement logarithmic. That also helps
a lot when both coarse and fine changes should be possible with similar mouse-
movement.

And somehow I dream of a toolkit where you select a knob/slider/fader and it
then reacts to the turn-knob you have on your desk. But given the variety in
toolkits, I think this is a dream of the distant future unless that big knob
sends out mouse-movement signals...

Have fun,

Arnold