Re: [LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 03:37:10 EEST

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 09:58 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 21:44 +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>>
>>> I have been working on an experimental slider in Jackbeat. When untouched it is
>>> very small, but big enough to see what the level is. When you click and hold on
>>> it, it unfolds (becomes much bigger), and the mouse changes the level with
>>> increased precision.
>>
>> That sounds a bit like the the fansliders in phat...
>
> Actually, I used the fansliders before, in the very same place :) But there were
> two things that I didn't like:
> - the way they look, especially when unfolded, those ugly/huge shapes around
> - the fact that unwanted changes happen when you go away to gain precision
>
> That's why I made those sliders IIRC. You have increased precision right after
> clicking, you don't need to move away for that. Plus, with the way they are
> integrated and some mouse magic, it doesn't matter if the window is closed to a
> screen border or not. And I think they look neat ;)
>
> That said, the increased precision is fixed. You can't go into the pico dB.. But
> it works for me.
>
> --
>  Olivier

Fansliders are lovely ideas, but the current implementation is pretty
crappy, and I haven't look at the code in years and didn't have a
clear idea about what I was doing with it last time anyway. Now that x
composite is a lot more common it would be easier. I'm surprised
Thorsten hasn't jumped in to the knob discussion yet. If anyone else
wants to fix fan sliders feel free to give me a yell.

I still think knobs are pretty evil though. :)

Loki