Re: [LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 11 2010 - 20:36:29 EEST

On 09/10/2010 06:06 PM, hermann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 10.09.2010, 14:32 +0200 schrieb Olivier Guilyardi:
>> Well, as I previously said, I think that knobs can make sense in
>> certain
>> situations. So I'd rather see the phat knob improved ;) I think that's
>> a really
>> cool widget, it provides a very clear visual indication, but it only
>> supports
>> the circle movements.
>>
>> It would be great if there were runtime options to customize the phat
>> knob
>> behavior, to also support up/down and/or left/right, fine-tuning with
>> a key
>> modifier, etc..
>>
>> Providing alternative styles would also be very cool.
>>

> All that we have done in the libgxw / ligxwmm library witch comes with
> guitarix.

That's great work indeed. I have just tried pygxw with the provided demo.

That said, I think that the behavior should be more customizable. From what I
saw, the default behavior is circle-move, and with Ctrl it becomes up/down. I
also saw that this behavior can be inverted with gx_set_knob_jump_to_mouse().

There isn't really fine-tuning AFAICS. I mean, to be consistent, one may want to
have up/down by default, and fine-tuning up/down with Ctrl (no circles).

IMO, this widget, although very cool, is similar to the phat knob. It works well
for the specific purpose it was designed. But it lacks several options, in order
to satisfy the various tastes mentioned on this thread.

Also, the phat knob, with its large orange/blue border provides better
visualization IMO. I am however quite sad that in both cases, phat and libgxw,
no SVG source is provided.

--
  Olivier