Re: [LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 14:35:24 EEST

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 12:39 +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> In regard to phat, if only the SVG, or XCF, or whatever sources were on svn,
> that would allow to tune the colors, the size, etc... Maybe that the solution is
> to redraw it in Inkscape.

The source is a Blender file. Peter Shorthose took care of animation and
post-processing after I did the design.

I would think this has to be in a repo somewhere, but I have a local
copy, anyway:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/485382/old_knob_3d.tar.bz2

Great how those won't die, as much as I wish they would, while all the
stuff in http://thorwil.wordpress.com/?s=knobs didn't go anywhere.

The main issue for me is that they always appear alien in GTK windows.
Then the design is not strong enough to warrant creating a whole
matching theme. They are not scalable.

Creating such a series for a knob animation with Inkscape is not exactly
trivial, if you want consistent lighting and a physical feel. For
optimal, scalable results, the drawing should be coded, as otherwise you
get issues with lines that should stay 1px wide and might be neighbors
in some cases.

With knobs, you still have a problem with putting them into a layout
with labels. I think much could be gained with sliders with integrated
labels:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/485382/sliders.png

--
Thorsten Wilms