[LAD] ADAT digital audio receiver and transmitter circuit

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 02:50:01 EEST

Is there a mass-market (a cheap module from china/taiwan/hongkong)
equivalent of the OptoRec and OptoGen , which could be usefully hooked
up to a few of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230418195291
to make a useful multichannel D/A for an ADAT lightpipe ; the optorec
could likewise be paired with external A/D's or used to "vampire" an
I2S signal from external digital gear w/o digital outputs.

Also, experience with assembling and/or using the OpenRec/OptoGen?

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Digital_audio/11329401182.html
OptoRec and OptoGen

ADAT digital audio receiver and transmitter circuit

These kits is [sic] an 8-channel interface circuit using the ADAT
protocol. They supports the sample rates 44.1 and 48kHz and up to 24
bits.

The boards can be used for adding an ADAT input to a DAC, an ADAT
output to an ADC or for DIY projects. The receiver board includes an
ADAT input, ADAT output, a wordclock input and I2S outputs. The
transmitter board includes an ADAT output and I2S inputs.

The kits use SMD parts, so some SMD experience may be needed to
assemble the board. SOT-23-5 parts are used, so a fine-tipped
soldering iron (or SMD tools) is needed.

It's that "SMD experience" needed part that really gets me. I will
invariably get a blob of solder bridging two SMD pins, and then in the
course of trying to correct my mistake manage to get it bridging a few
more pins and melting the ic or lifting the pad of the pc board.
there's a reason i went into software. The undo key.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com