[LAD] boxyseq update (but still not end user usable)

From: James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 13:40:22 EEST

Hi,

BoxySeq is still very far away from suitable for end users, but I've
decided to post an update here to let people know that I'm still
working on it :-)

"The classification of what BoxySeq is, resides somewhere between
sequencer and arpeggiator. The core concept of BoxySeq is to use a
window-manager-like window-placement-algorithm to generate pitch and
velocity data as it sequences events in real time (via the JACK Audio
Connection Kit’s MIDI API)."

More details of how it (should) work(s):
http://github.com/jwm-art-net/BoxySeq/wiki

My latest demo with BoxySeq connected to Yoshimi and recorded in mhWaveEdit

http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/boxyseq_demo_28_09_2010.ogg

(the demo utilizes a simple pattern which feeds into 8 boundary boxes.
i move the boundaries around, switching them to blocking mode and back
to play mode for various melodic arpeggiated effects etc).

Since the last time I posted to LAD/LAU I've increased some usability features:

Improved boundary movement/resize code.
Added zoom functionaility
Added scrollbars.
Added keyboard shortcuts.

(select a boundary by hovering mouse over it)
left,right,up,down move selected boundary 1 unit in that direction
b, B - make the boundary turn all events into Blocks (ie events which
don't emit midi messages but are still placed)
i, I - make the boundary Ignore all events.
p, P - make the boundary Play all events as normal _
- - bring the boundary closer to the front of the boundary
list\___slightly confusing I know
+ - move the boundary further toward the end of the list _/

that's about it - but it feels like I've done a whole lot more.

the next step is to get one of the most fundamental features of
BoxySeq working, and that is to allow the user to create static block
boxes (these can be placed anywhere in the grid and prevent a boundary
placing any events in that location). Unfortunately it's not quite as
straightforward as it sounds.

Cheers,
James.

--