Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

From: Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 10:43:25 EEST

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> anyway, which qtractor dialogs doesn't fit on nowadays screensizes? i
> mean, which ones are bigger than 800x600 ? please tell me

http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-meego.png

Note the oversized "Options" dialog with hidden Ok/Cancel. You can't
move the top of the window offscreen so there's no way to reach it
other than using kb-accels <enter> to reach "Ok" or <esc> for
"Cancel." Also, note the spinbuttons for mixer attenuation and a few
others clip the text displaying the value (which also happens for me
on my Fedora/KDE4.4 desktop, but its more legible because i use a
larger font normally).

Here's how I have the screen layout/fonts customized to make things
work on meego:
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-meego.png

Note that to get it this way (due to oversize dialog issue) I had to
start it on a remote X server and then setup the fonts to the smallest
size, confirmed, exited, and then restarted qtractor on meego netbook
display.

The same results and layouts occur for both
 qtractor i686 0.4.6-1.fc13 rpmfusion-free-updates 802 k
(installed using
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.README
http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.tgz )
as well as this latest version, which I compiled successfully on meego
using development libs from the aforementioned repo hack).

> yes, ALT+righ-click for drag&move a window is a X11 standard and it
> should work on qtractor. unless meego is not X11 based, which i find
> very unprobable

<pedantic>Actuallly, the keybindings for the window manager have
nothing to do with
the X11 standard, since that's entirely the domain of the window
manager. Improving on X10, the X11 standard attempted to get out of
the way of window management by making it an application in and of
itself (e.g. twm, mwm, metacity, kwin) and making window management a
protocol part of the X11 standard. Various desktop standards, from
Motif, CDE, OpenLook and probably Gnome and KDE all have specific
bindings, or lack of bindings to invoke the window manager within an
application.</pedantic>

I would imagine a window manager such as used in meego would not have
a lot of keyboard accelerators for expert users given the target is
netbooks, tablets, set top boxes, automotive/flight entertainment,
etc.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com