Re: [LAD] Roger Linn should open source Linnstrument & release on meego :-)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 16:18:02 EEST

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 13:48 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> follow the links from there. there are no patents here
>
>> randy's somewhat commercial attempt to take his idea(s) into the hands
>> of musicians is here: http://www.madronalabs.com/
>
> From http://www.madronalabs.com/hardware:
>
>  "The Soundplane's continuous capacitive sensing technology is patent
>  pending."
>
> It seems like there are some patents there :-(

pending doesn't mean granted. i'd be suprised (but not *that*
suprised) if the US patent system was willing to grant randy a patent
for a system he described in full detail in his masters thesis and
proceeded to describe in sufficient detail to reproduce it on a
self-released youtube video. but i guess we'll see. maybe he filed the
patent before doing either of those things. a shame if true, but
understandable. yamaha or some similar company could make a lot of
money from this idea.

--p