Re: [LAD] Gone virtually Meego 1.1 in Fedora -- lots of questions....

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 00:03:02 EEST

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Is this just a side-effect of modern linux kernels adopting the
> preempt/rt patches:
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/2010/linuxcon-brasil/pt/gleixner ?
> Does this mean, in the future, that separate realtime kernels as
> provided for Fedora/Ubuntu distros will no longer be needed? And that
> we'll be able to configure our systems for RT usage as needed?

the mainstream kernel has merged *parts* of the RT patch. it does not
have all of it, and the last time i heard gleixner talk about it (last
fall, in portland, OR at the linux plumbers conf) he felt that it
unlikely that it would ever all be merged.

configuring your system for RT usage has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with
the presence or absence of the RT patch. RT scheduling, mlock and
other features used by RT applications are all available and usable on
all modern linux kernels. the RT patch just makes them work better, on
some machines, some of the time.