Re: [LAD] Suggestion for diving into audio development?

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 06:32:00 EEST

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Kris Calabio <cpczk@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the Linux Audio community. Let me introduce myself:
>
> (You can skip to "Ok getting to the point" if you like :P )
>
> I'm primarily a rock musician and have a home recording setup with a
> Presonus Audiobox USB, Guitar Rig 3, and Reaper on a Windows system, and it
> works really well for me. I've been using Linux ever since I started
> studying computer science in college since 2006 and immediately recognized
> it as marginally better than Windows. I've considered switching my home
> system completely to Linux and free software (all knowledge must be free!),
> but I love Reaper too much.
>
> So I decided to dual boot on my new laptop about a month ago. I still have
> Windows 7 to get stuff done in Reaper quickly and comfortably, and Ubuntu
> Studio to experiment with. I must say, this last month I've learned so, so
> much about Linux, DSP, and computers in general. The flexibility of Jack is
> awesome. I love how all my plugins don't have to be run all in one DAW
> application. Jack with Ardour and Guitarix rivals my Windows setup, though
> I still prefer Reaper.
>
> Ok getting to the point:
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for diving into the world of open source
> development? I've looked at some source code of applications I use but get
> pretty lost. Are there any simple Jack applications that have easy to read
> code? I'm all for taking baby steps. I'm also open to reading suggestions
> (online resources, books, anything really).
>
> The lowest level of DSP programming I've ever done was with Pure Data. (I
> made a wavetable/FM synthesizer in pd that I could post if anyone's
> interested.) Are there other programming languages I should learn? I know
> C, C++, and Java. I understand that FAUST is a good DSP language. Are
> there others?
>
> The Linux community is great and the free audio software is really
> powerful! It's definitely THE ideal alternative for musicians on a budget
> like myself. Unfortunately, you sort of have to be tech savvy to be a Linux
> musician. The average musician is not. I want to be part of the
> development of free audio software as my way of giving back to this
> wonderful community and helping the average musician.

My best advice is to pick up a project that you are objectively interested
in completing. Pick a goal that you would be happy if *someone else* did.
That way when the novelty wears off, you'll still have some motivation to
keep working and keep learning when you otherwise might tire of it. So ask
yourself: What's something that you think linux audio is lacking? Find
something small, and find something you care about.

Jeremy