Re: [LAD] [LAA] [ann] gjacktransport 0.4.0

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 23:14:44 EEST

On 10/29/10 22:06, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> and fixed (but not yet configurable) SMPTE font (gjacktransport)
>> is in SVN:
>>
>> https://gjacktransport.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gjacktransport/trunk
>
> This fix both improves the looks and doesn't wobble around. Thanks!
> For some reason, although I don't like unecessary software emulations
> of the way hardware looks (rivets, screws, etc) having a rolling
> timecode display use a realistic-looking red 8-segment-LED-looking
> font is somehow reassuring and suggestive of what's being looked at.
> Having a distinctive monospaced font like you're using is the next
> best thing, and easier to implement.

IMHO the best solution would be to look for a 7-segment font. There must
be one freely available. If not it can't be too hard to make one.

Anyway while they may still around in the audio-world, in Film Post-Prod
7seg displays are not that common anymore. Timecode is rendered nicely
on the picture :)

FWIW: if you're into tinkering: I built a jack-transport and LTC display
using real 7 segment displays and a arduino a while ago:
http://rg42.org/gitweb/?p=arduino.git;a=tree