Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Dan Kegel <dank@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 02:02:08 EET

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Kris Calabio <cpczk@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I'm afraid you're drew the wrong implication about myself from that statement, but perhaps I should have been more clear.  I meant that Google likes to see open source in a resume.  If they see that you developed for open source projects and talk about it in an interview (if you get one), they will be more likely to hire you.  The Google representativs at the panel emphasized this point many times.

Right - having good commits in a serious project shows you're smart
and can get things done.

But they also like open source in another way: they use lots (LOTS) of it,
and they know they owe the community.

RMS never had anything against companies making profits with free software,
as long as they contributed their changes back.

And Google does; they sponsored lots of profile-driven optimization work in gcc,
containers and networking changes to the kernel, and for a while, lots of
improvements to Wine. (Something I was happy to be involved with.)
Plus they sponsor 500-1000 students every summer to work on open
source projects.
And they pay Andrew Morton's salary... and they helped drive the state of art in
free/open source web browsers forward... the list goes on and on.

So, say what you will about Google, but the free / open source community
has benefited greatly from their efforts.
- Dan