Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 19:04:50 EET

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are passionate
>> at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you do for a living?
>>  Are you a student?  Do you do software development just as a hobby, or do
>> you want to make a living doing this kind of work?
>
> I see most of you are in IT, I would have thought there were more
> amateur programmers and some pro musicians, too.
> I am a student. Natural science. Completely unrelated to CS or audio.
> :) My prospective employer probably won't care about OSS, mostly doing
> this for fun.

I'm a professional programmer, working in the VoIP server industry,
although I don't do much OSS development these days. The software we
develop is commercial, but we use some LGPL stuff like ffmpeg, and our
target platforms are Solaris and Linux, and I focus mainly on media
streaming solutions for VoIP. Ultimately, though, I will be changing
careers to that of a professional composer and get away from the
software development :-) That will become closer to reality once I
finish my certification via Berklee.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com