[LAD] Back from the grave?

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 12 2010 - 22:13:58 EET

I've been watching the Etherent/AVB situation for a while now. I was very
disappointed when one potentially promising avenue was effectively closed when
the manufacturers of an AVB endpoint module told me they were only interested in
talking to commercial concerns, and then only under NDA. Maybe I'm wrong but I
can't see how an NDA fits with an open standard!

However, all is not doom and gloom. Looking again at the xmos site I came across
this:

http://www.xmos.com/products/reference-designs/avbl2

It is a bit thin on details, but the price doesn't seem unreasonable when you
consider it will include 2 dev boards.

Some questions that occur to me and I don't have answers for:

What is the audio quality generally (bit depth, sample rate, noise etc.)?
I notice that, as well as stereo in & out, they quote up to 8 I2S channels.

How difficult would it be to create a jack 'endpoint' and control?

Would a variant of netjack be able to handle this?

All through, my wish has been to get away from soundcard obsolescence
(PCI?), vendor lock-in and software incompatibility. With the AVB standard
getting increasing support I believe that if any one compliant endpoint can be
supported, then eventually many others could be.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk