Re: [LAD] panning thoughts

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 14:59:58 EET

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 06:27 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> this would suggest that either you don't do panning automation

I'm not using the current SVN version of Rui's Qtractor, but yes, Qtractor 0.4.7 has got no automation.

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 11:18 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > My question: It's better to avoid using sin/cos and instead to use Fon's
> > trick?!
> >
> > Hence Qtractor (Rui) better shouldn't use sin/cos?
> >

> as said, for qtractor the panning coefficients are computed _only_ when
> the pan widget slider changes. the simple one-shot calculation is
> carried out in gui thread context so it does not add a cycle whatsoever
> to dsp load ;)

Since Qtractor has got no automation. I'm a Qtractor user who doesn't
need automation, but IIRC you will add automation ;).

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 12:37 +0100, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Loosely translated: Tabulation for rt (when using sin/cos) for small
> > angles (what ever a small angle might be) is still faster.
>
> This is not about small angles. More exactly: 'Tabulation is the proper
> solution for RT applications when only low resolution of the angle is
> required'.
>
> You won't get a single simple answer to a question that has
> no such answer.

;)

Anyway, your answer is a good, single simplem answer :).

> - on one or a few channels, or
> - maybe on hundreds of them.

*!* Important, some people wish to use automation and perhaps those people wish to automate hundreds of channels.

I never had issues when using the pan pots of any Linux app, but I'm not editing panning while a song is played.

- Ralf