Re: [LAD] panning thoughts

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 23:00:33 EET

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 08:06:20PM +0100, Remon Sijrier wrote:

> Keep in mind that gain automation uses an interpolation for the gain value
> calculated and applied per sample.

You also need the interpolation on 'manual' values. Just use
the same code. It's required only when the gain changes.

> If this kind of precision isn't needed, then I can change that to use the same
> resolution as midi (128 steps) or perhaps a multiple of 128?

127 would be more than enough for panning. Use 1..127 and make 0 the same as 1.

> How do you move sliders with a mouse with sub-pixel accuracy ?
> (maybe I'm misunderstanding the sub-pixel accuracy way of moving a graphical
> slider)

If the adjustment is relative it doesn't need to have the same 'speed'
as the mouse. If the value is modified by the mouse wheel it's easy as
well. Displaying sub-pixel displacements is just a matter of using the
right graphics library, e.g. cairo.

Ciao,

--
FA