Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 07:41:51 EET

On December 14, 2010 10:04:10 pm Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 02:47 +0000, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> > A lot of people do, but perhaps they do it for mails that
> > anyway are in
> > public, e.g. to correspond to mailing lists.
> >
> > Anybody know of a public email provider that is better? Or more so:
> > that can prove they are better?
> > Open to suggestions :-)
> >
> > -Harry
>
> An evasive answer: For a while I used OpenPGP for emails ;). Perhaps all
> autistics and savants able to do prime factorization are only working
> for Google and no other provider or even intelligence services :D.

Ha. Good one.

But really, should we all be using some form of it?
I did for a while. I notice some folks here use it, some don't.
KMail always says unknown (I think we have to share keys).
Would it be better for LAD? Does it matter?
Will it, soon, the way things are going?

Big brother is the corporations.
I used to be able to claim a prize in a bag of potato chips by walking in
 to any store and handing over a ticket. Now I must 'register' on-line.

This technology we use is a delicate dance between convenience and security,
 but I don't like what I'm seeing transpire these days...

Here, our gov created a national "do not call" list, which we could join
 and telemarketers would not be allowed to call us, if we said so.
People flocked to the list!
Then the gov sold the list to some marketing group. Ugh...

Tim.