Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 12:14:56 EET

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 05:01:58 am Tim E. Real did opine:

> On December 14, 2010 10:04:10 pm Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 02:47 +0000, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> > > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> > >
> > > <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > A lot of people do, but perhaps they do it for mails that
> > > anyway are in
> > > public, e.g. to correspond to mailing lists.
> > >
> > > Anybody know of a public email provider that is better? Or more so:
> > > that can prove they are better?
> > > Open to suggestions :-)
> > >
> > > -Harry
> >
> > An evasive answer: For a while I used OpenPGP for emails ;). Perhaps
> > all autistics and savants able to do prime factorization are only
> > working for Google and no other provider or even intelligence
> > services :D.
>
> Ha. Good one.
>
> But really, should we all be using some form of it?
> I did for a while. I notice some folks here use it, some don't.
> KMail always says unknown (I think we have to share keys).
> Would it be better for LAD? Does it matter?
> Will it, soon, the way things are going?
>
> Big brother is the corporations.
> I used to be able to claim a prize in a bag of potato chips by walking
> in to any store and handing over a ticket. Now I must 'register'
> on-line.
>
> This technology we use is a delicate dance between convenience and
> security, but I don't like what I'm seeing transpire these days...
>
> Here, our gov created a national "do not call" list, which we could join
> and telemarketers would not be allowed to call us, if we said so.
> People flocked to the list!
> Then the gov sold the list to some marketing group. Ugh...
>
> Tim.

Ralf I suspect, if he were to use pgp, would be like me, and only trust
pgp-2.6.2a, the last one before they put Zimmerman in jail for a few years.
I have often said, and have been called the uber paranoid for it, that one
of the conditions of his release was that the next generation of pgp had a
back door. Denials out the yang are always instantaneous, but none of them
came from Pete, so I have no choice but to conclude he is under NDA as the
price of his freedom. So I figure the lack of compatibility of modern
versions means I might as well use plain text anyway. My views aren't
secret anyway if you read my sig.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)