Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 23:09:05 EET

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 21:50:19 David Olofson wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2010, at 19.56.04, Arnold Krille
> <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Some months back fbi had to admit that current encryption is to good for
> > them. After a year of trying they returned a hard-disk (which Mexican
> > police asked them to decrypt) admitting they couldn't do anything to get
> > the data... Went through fefe's blog...
>
> ...or maybe the files were just truly random noise from an analog source?
> ;-)
>
> ...or the FBI just *said* they couldn't do it, to lull us all into a false
> sense of security.

Lets take a rational view: Most probably that hard-disk was connected with
crime. And as it was Mexico, it would most probably be drugs. If they really
did manage to break the encryption, someone in the chain would have said
something about "thanks to the fbi we know from that hard-disk"...

Staying rational, I don't think fbi/nsa/cia have enough money to fund years of
research for quantum computing, producing working results capable of cracking
todays hardest encryptions and not have anyone talk. Not that it wouldn't be
possible given enough money, I just don't think they would have managed to
spent enough money on this.

If you speak German, read the blog from udo vetter (lawblog.de) and watch his
talk on the ccc-congress where he (and several people from the audience) gave
every-day testimonials of encrypted hard-discs where law-enforcement didn't
get any valid data from.

Have fun,

Arnold