Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 02:45:37 EET

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 07:38:50 pm Paul Davis did opine:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Ralf I suspect, if he were to use pgp, would be like me, and only
> > trust pgp-2.6.2a, the last one before they put Zimmerman in jail for
> > a few years. I have often said, and have been called the uber
> > paranoid for it, that one of the conditions of his release was that
> > the next generation of pgp had a back door. �Denials out the yang are
> > always instantaneous, but none of them came from Pete, so I have no
> > choice but to conclude he is under NDA as the price of his freedom.
>
> Wrong also:
>
> Q: I heard a rumor that you cut a deal with the US Government to put a
> back door in PGP in order to not be prosecuted for publishing PGP. Is
> this true? Come on, you can tell me, I won't tell anyone, I promise.
>
> A: You heard wrong. No, I didn't cut any deals, and would not have
> done so even if it was the only way to stay out of prison. But I
> didn't have to negotiate with them at all. After a three year criminal
> investigation, they did not indict me, because we beat them.
>
> This is from his own website:
> http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/faq/index.html
>
> paranoia will only get you so far gene :)

True, but what his own page says now, does not match the emails flying
around about it back in the day. Unforch, to be able to back that up, I
would have to have an email corpus that goes back farther than the 2002
date, when I had a crashed drive and lost everything I didn't have stored
on the CoCo3's hard drive. That goes clear back to the Princeton days of
the coco mailing list, but that stops in about 91 when I switched to an
amiga, and that whole decade vaporized in drive crash after drive crash.

So lets wrap it up and say that Phil's web page is correct.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)