Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 15:38:20 EET

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 08:13 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, December 16, 2010 08:12:34 am Arnold Krille did opine:
>
> > On Thursday 16 December 2010 01:13:24 Dan Kegel wrote:
> > >
> > > For what it's worth, Google's caution in promising deletion
> > > is probably because it's not quite sure how to do that
> > > quickly. Users would be Very Very Angry if a disk outage
> > > or a fire in a datacenter resulted in the loss of their stored
> > > email, so Google probably has some sort of offsite backup
> > > arrangement, and that might complicate prompt deletion.
> > > ... yup,
> > > http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7401
> > > says
> > > "residual copies of deleted messages and accounts may take up
> > > to 60 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our
> > > backup systems."
> > >
> > > So, if you were google, would you use tape backup? If so,
> > > how would you do that permanent deletion thing? If not,
> > > how would you make darn sure you didn't anger users by
> > > losing messages during a disaster?
> >
> > I don't think google uses magnet-tapes or similar for any backups except
> > the vital core data of its business. Given the number and size of their
> > data- centers around the world, they just sync the data to a different
> > part of the world an be done with it. Of course the deletion has to be
> > synced to all remote-copies and probably also forwarded to older
> > backups but once such a mechanism is implemented it should do the
> > actual delete within a day...
> >
> > There are even universities that decided against a new tape-library and
> > in favor of a big stack of disks for long-term backup because these
> > where cheaper, similar reliable and much faster for restore. And they
> > don't need a special tape-library-managing app to access the data, a
> > file-browser or the command-line is enough...
> >
> > Have fun,
> >
> > Arnold
>
> I run amanda here every night, but no tape, big disks instead. Much more
> usable come recovery times.

Especially at home, where tape means DAT drive. I don't have any DAT
equivalent to store computer data, but 2 audio DAT recorders, both with
broken drives. Those drives with a thing for eating tapes. A friend has
got more, but just two DAT recorders, all recorders also with broken
drives. Another possible issue that isn't that seldom, is that the
carrier coat will loose contact to the magnetic coat. I never heard of
DAT tapes where this happened, but I know this from professional analog
video tapes. At least dropouts could arise by long time storage for such
small tapes. Ok, professional tapes for data storage might be 1/2" to
2", dunno, but of so, they might be very expensive. I just tar to my USB
stick from time to time or from one HD to another. If we need perfect
data security at home, IMO we should use RAID, but doing backups.