Re: [LAD] [ANN] MusE 2.0alpha

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 27 2010 - 16:15:05 EET

Excerpts from Robert Jonsson's message of 2010-12-24 22:46:13 +0100:
> 2010/12/24 Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com>
>
> > > Hmm, no idea why this happens for you. Perhaps Orcan has some idea?
> >
> > Thanks to someone on your channel muse builds after modifying
> > trunk/muse2/muse/midiedit/CMakeLists.txt to:
> > target_link_libraries (
> > midiedit
> > ${QT_LIBRARIES}
> > al
> > icons
> > widgets
> > ctrl
> > )
> >
> > ctrl needed to be added.
> >

> Cool, if it's not already added (guessing it is) I'll add it.

It's not (yet).

> > > Midi-parts are xml based and can be stored and retrieved from disk. This
> > > gives the possibility to produce a library of parts. Creating a public
> > > library of parts (mainly for drums) has been discussed.
> >
> > Ok, never heard of it, and I'm not sure just 'part' is obvious.
> >
> > True, I'll fix the text.

> > > They are regular tracks where you can put/record wave-parts, if you tried
> > > older versions of MusE this is nothing new.
> >
> > Apparently I never got this far before. I found it quite confusing I
> > must say.
> > Worse though is that new input tracks are muted by default
>

> That is a good point, I'll see if we can make it clearer.
>
> > (took me a
> > while to figure out why I couldn't record anything despite proper
> > routing) and that you have to constantly re-arm everything (wav tracks
> > at least).
> >

> If you just want to record one track the currently selected track is
> rec-enabled when you click rec.
> I guess there are different "schools" how this should be handled, it works
> pretty good for me but I'm open for ideas for how to change it.

I'll try to give you a close to real-world example why it's problematic
the way it currently is.
Imagine you want to record a drum set. There are different philosophies
for recording drums, but frequently a large number of mics is used. It's
problematic for anything that needs more than two channels, but just for
this explanation let's assume you want to record a drumkit using 10
mics.

What you need to do:
Create either 10 mono or 5 stereo input tracks.
Create 10 mono wave tracks.
Route the inputs to the wave tracks using a popup-menu on each track.
Unmute each input track.
Arm each of the ten wave tracks.
Click the big record button.
Click play.
Press stop.

-- you're recording your first take at this point, jack routing and
playback of any kind not included

-- to record your next take, all you have to do is

Arm each of the ten wave tracks.
Click the big record button.
Click play.

-- repeat until your fingers fall off

I hope it's clear that the current 'the selected track gets auto-armed' behavior
is not a solution when you need to record more than a single track.
I firmly believe that the number of clicks required should be reduced as
much as possible. I'm sure Alex will tell you 'a bit' about keyboard
navigation, so I'll save myself this part of the sermon.