Re: [LAD] Time-Stretch

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2011 - 22:02:05 EET

Hello Harry!
   I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but I know, that there are more basic
choices, although I'm not sure for how much of this you will get stretching
libraries. Tehre the approach of using FFT in the process, which might be
quite CPU intensive, though I know, that there's good quality windows software
out there, that uses it to great effect. I've heard some examples and "seen"
it in action. then there's "simple" resampling. Which will get you the mickie
mouse or daemon from hell effect, if it uses too much slowing down or speeding
up. That is what you would get, if you do it with oldstyle tapes. Then there's
something in between, quality wise. I think they repeat some samples or cut
some out. I think soundtouch/soundstretch is using this approach. So
especially if you need to keep in tune with something, I'd go for one of
those. Resampling might be OK and probably the least CPU hungry, if you only
need small changes in speed and if you are not going to use it for melodic
instruments.
   That didn't help much, ey? but I hope I didn't tell you something you
already knew and thus could help you to subdivide your list into the different
methods. So you might be able to discard a whole bunch of the libs you found.
   Kndly yours
           Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net