Re: [LAD] Devs needed for opensource virtual analog softsynth idea

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2011 - 13:48:17 EET

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Sascha Schneider <ungleichklang@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> 2011/1/6 Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>:
> > On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Sascha Schneider <
> ungleichklang@email-addr-hidden>
> > wrote:

> >> Not all, .. minicomputer is actually 8 synths on 8 different
> >> midichannels all playing one sound monophonic.
> >> as LV2 we only need one synth that is polyphonic.
> >> Need to ad Midi-Mapping, cause the controllers are hardcoded in the
> >> engine.
> >>
> >> regards, saschas
> >
> > So wait, I'm a little confused by this. Are you saying that the engine
> is
> > composed of 8 copies of the same synth, each being monophonic, but
> allowing
> > you to do polyphony if you redirect the notes to different channels each
> (so
> > each monophonic synth plays a different note)?
> > If you want to make something like that polyphonic that would be very
> easy.
> > You'd just set up a queue of open synth engines. You could even set the
> > polyphony by an option that you could adjust (at the expense of memory).
> > So if you're worried about that, don't be worried. Since it is a Jack
> app,
> > it's already largely in the format we need, you just need to add some
> > metadata, and switch around the way it handles MIDI and OSC (well, that's
> > the time-consuming part). As for the GUI, I think since it uses OSC, you
> > could just add some metadata and it would work as a LV2ExternalUI (well,
> > very minor source code modifications would be necessary). However, if
> > you're interested in designing a new GUI, that would be possible too.
> > Jeremy
>
> As far as I understand it,
> the engine is file main.c in folder cpu
> GUI stuff is located in folder /editor
> both communicate with OSC
> right??
>
> Yes. Except it seems that you can select different settings for each of
your voices. This doesn't really make sense if you are automatically
assigning the notes to synth engines. I think perhaps the best way would be
to have one set of settings for *all* copies of the synth engine, and if you
want different settings, then you'd have to create another copy of the
plugin.

so there are somewhere in that code 8 midiports that route the
> midinotes to an engine (that I dont's seem to find for my
> codingknowledge)
> Now in the UI I see 8 synths each on his own midichannel.
> The docs Malte has made say that by using a midirouter I can send one
> miditrack to those 8 midichannels at the same time and hear 8 synths
> each with his own sound.

Yup, and I'm saying we can just build in that functionality into the plugin.