Re: [LAD] What if a fork is not a fork?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 01:15:09 EET

On 1/27/11, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
>> On Thursday 27 January 2011 11:56:22 Paul Davis wrote:
>>> i just don't remember other cases where major existing FLOSS projects
>>> were forked
>
> The only instance I can think of is how Cinepaint (aka Film-Gimp) was
> forked off from the Gimp. I think it deadended, though, when the Gimp
> caught up to some of the same functionality

FilmGIMP was a friendly fork, kept in same CVS repo, but different
branch. The team behind it started doing everything properly after
that, i.e. developing GEGL, the new GIMP's non-destructive core, but
they didn't get very far and left.

Cinepaint is FilmGIMP picked up by a completely different team (and
there were battles and soure faces there as well). They ended up
trying to create their own new core and new UI and failed. Last time I
checked, Cinepaint seemd to have proper attributions to the initial
GIMP's team.

IIRC, quite a few major projects have been forked in the past. Bazaar
and bzr-ng, OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice, Amarok and Clementine
(well, a time-machine fork in this case), Sodipodi and Inkscape, etc.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org