Re: [LAD] Attribution for Community Approval

From: Jeremy Salwen <jeremysalwen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 22:52:06 EET

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Oh, changing the license without the permission from all copyright-holders
> is
> the same kind of crime and results in the same penalties. Regardless
> whether
> you switch from "gpl2 or any later" to "gpl3 only" or from "gpl2 or later"
> "gpl3 or later" or even from "gpl2 or later" to "gpl2"...
>
> Actually, I'm pretty sure that the exact opposite is true. When you
distribute "under the terms of the GPL2 or later", that means I can accept
your program under the terms of the GPL3. The terms of the GPL3 say that I
can modify it and redistribute it under the GPL3. Similarly for the GPL2.
Notice the language says "*or* later", not "*and* later". I get to choose
which license I agree to. Otherwise, it would be pointless to even offer it
under the "GPL 2 or later" because I would *have* to distribute it under the
GPL3, which places further restrictions on top of the GPL2, meaning that it
would effectively be under the GPL3 no matter what.

Jeremy