Re: [LAD] Calculate R M S (Alfs Kurmis)

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 23:19:27 EET

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:05:36 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

<snip>
The overshoot
> isn't a detail - it has quite a marked effect on the response.
> Many software 'VU' meters use a first order lowpass - this doesn't
> even come close to the response of a the real thing.
>
> Ciao,

Hmmm.
Remembering my early training... In quality moving coil test meters this was
referred to as critical damping and not only gave the best response time but
also gave confidence that the meter needle wasn't sticking. With dead-band
damping where the needle slowed to a stop as it rose (or fell) you were always
tapping the glass because you weren't *quite* sure.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk