Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 20:07:05 EET

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 04:52 +0000, Jeremy Salwen wrote:
[...]
> Hi David,
>

> As a plugin developer, I'm very much looking forward to this,
> especially since I proposed something similar to this a bit ago
> (http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden/14098999.html :) But the fact that you're capable and willing to implement this solution means a lot more than my confused half-baked ideas. I look forward to the day when embedding and cross-toolkitedness walk hand in hand.

Right, what you describe here is more or less what I am getting at (it's
come up several times in the past), except rather than bundling it with
every UI (which is copy-paste code reuse and all sorts of nuisance
waiting to happen), I think it should just be a normal system library
that hosts can use to do the job.

We generally have the philosophy that if there is a choice, complexity
does not belong in the plugin (or UI). Putting the complexity in the
plugin is bad bad bad, plugins should be small and easy to write. In
this case, a plugin UI should just implement and expose its widget -
dealing with that widget is the host's problem.

In this case, we have a tricky enough complexity that we don't want it
duplicated in all the hosts either, so a library is definitely the way
to go. I call it Suil :)

Cheers,

-dr