Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 23:55:45 EET

On 02/22/2011 01:45 PM, Nick Copeland wrote:
> > ATM it doesn't even provide network transparency. Which means you can't
> > even do the equivalent of ssh -X.
>
> Does anybody even use this feature anymore?

fwiw, 50% of my audio work happens on a laptop that i use to ssh into my
audio workstation. (i find a laptop with wlan to be the tranzport as god
intended it to be :-D).

about 80% of the unix systems administration i have done in the past
happened over ssh, and i always had xforwarding enabled to be able to
quickly start xosview or other metering tools.

x bashing is all very cool, but it's what we have and it works.

i wonder: you are obviously willing to design for future graphical
abstraction layers which are not yet available. good, but possibly a lot
of extra (guess-)work. will it be that much worse to just design for x11
today, and invest some extra work to port to future graphics layers in a
few years? well-designed software should be easy to port to new
graphical paradigms, and being lazy today prevents over-engineering.
heck, if your software kicks ass, chances are other people will do the
porting ;)

fons is obviously being grumpy, but i can't help noticing that we've had
an awful lot of "innovation" in linux lately that may or may not prove
useful in the long term, but it definitely did invalidate a lot of
sysadmin expertise. nobody seems to be factoring that into the equation.
and it's definitely true that most of the innovative replacements to
traditional unix mechanisms we have seen are focusing on single-user
desktop or mobile computing. if your usecase differs, you get many
headaches without much tangible benefit.

so hooray for getting rid of decades of x11 cruft, but let's not throw
out the baby with the bathwater (even though it's biodegradable).