Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 00:58:16 EET

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 19:55 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> For how many years did we have to use Rosegarden/MusE and Ardour *and*
> Hydrogen simultaneously just to get *basic* DAW functionality only
> because everyone went on saying things like "Oh, this is UNIX
> philosophy -- do one thing and do it well" or "Divide and conqer"? So,
> we divided, and what have we conquered? :) After so many years we are
> ending up with A3 approaching that has integrated MIDI and audio
> anyway, a decade (too?) late.

... and this is why I've stopped using computers for music, and why the
nekosynth plugins haven't progressed in two years.

There is no way in hell I'm going near the utterly fundamentally
retarded mess of shit and fail that is Ardour 3.

It's a DAW. It shouldn't have *any* MIDI beyond control automation and
some idea of sync. Leave that to a sequencer.

Of course, there are no *usable* PC-based sequencers, so after gathering
dust for some ten years my 1/4" tape machine and Alesis MMT-8 are having
all the fun, and the PC just sits with pidgin, evolution and an ssh
session to my IRC client.

Linux audio is nowhere. There isn't a usable sample editor, there are a
couple of brave attempts at sequencers that lack pretty fundamental
features, and we have one DAW that seems to be going down the "do
everything, even if badly" route.

It's 2011. I've been at this for a decade. It's just as bad as it was
when I started trying to use PCs for music. I give up.

Gordon MM0YEQ