Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 15:07:41 EET

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> There's no doubt that many users or potential users want the
> 'all integrated' DAW combining audio, sequencing, invasive
> effects, etc. required to produce a particular type of music
> (and some other content, e.g. ads) that happens to have a
> wide audience. And consequently a large number of people
> wanting to be involved in making it.

That sounds like an intentionally badly hidden sarcasm.

> OTOH, this does not mean that some other people (who may be
> a minority) can't have other needs, nor does it provide good
> reasons to imply that they are in some way retarded, out of
> sync with their time, old-fashioned or whatever.

MIDI tracks in A3 are not forced to users at knife-point.

> Also, 'ignoring the bits you don't need' is not always as simple
> as it may seem. The simple fact that these things _are_ provided
> has consequences on the overall design, they _do_ distract, they
> _have_ to be checked and disabled (often each time again), they
> _do_ take resources and they _do_ impact reliability. And they
> are not compile time options.

The question I'm inclined to ask is whether you ever saw A3 live.
Because, really, until you choose to add a MIDI track, the related
functionality barely exposes itself.

> And the most perverse consequence of preferring complex apps
> to complex systems is that it becomes near impossible to modify
> them to individual or 'minority' needs.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/02/the-79-virtual-analog-console-now-on-both-mac-and-linux-harrison-mixbus/

"Coming from the rarified world of high-end audio systems, we
recognized a lot of the same qualities in Ardour. Some examples:
<snip> “customization on a truly deep level is important for
enterprise-class facilities” …. stuff like that."

You had it coming, Fons.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org