Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 19:09:19 EET

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 13:08 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On 02/24/2011 12:43 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > It's also foolish to suggest that the 'all inclusive universal
> > DAW' will cater for those needs - just ignore what you don't
> > use etc. It most definitely does *not* because it's by no means
> > as universal as you may think, but rather the reflection of
> > one particular musical culture. Which means that whatever is
> > not used in that particular scene will not be provided. Ardour,
> > despite all it qualities and being a magnificent piece of work,
> > is a good example of that.
>
> Now you talk about features not being provided, when the starting point
> was features that are provided.
>

> > Also, 'ignoring the bits you don't need' is not always as simple
> > as it may seem. The simple fact that these things _are_ provided
> > has consequences on the overall design, they _do_ distract, they
> > _have_ to be checked and disabled (often each time again), they
> > _do_ take resources and they _do_ impact reliability. And they
> > are not compile time options.
>
> Sure, a tool that offers exactly what you need and nothing more has
> something reassuring to it. But how much do you get to see of Ardour's
> MIDI support if you simply do not add any MIDI track to your session?

Oh, you havn't seen the latest improvements? The Ardour team noticed
that, since the track type selector is a combo box, literally not a
single pixel related to MIDI is shown during a purely audio related work
flow. This is, of course, a big problem in terms of our greater mission
to provide software that caters to the needs of precisely nobody while
irritating everybody else.

To resolve this situation, we now have an exciting new Clippy inspired
assistant that hops around your screen begging you to add MIDI tracks
constantly.

If, after 20 minutes, you have still not created a MIDI track, Ardour
will overwrite every .waf file found in your home directory with a 4/4
electronic kick drum loop, then shut down.

-dr