Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 02:52:31 EET

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 23:17 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2011 18:34, "David Robillard" <d@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I switched Serd and Sord to 2-clause BSD. Enjoy.
>
> Thanks! I hope to.
>
> > The license header is
> > bigger and uglier and has a bunch of lawyer boiler-plate yelling in
> it,
> > which I am not aesthetically please with at all... :)
>
> I've always rather liked the look of the BSD boilerplate.

I like the apache 2.0 one because it's pretty and short and free of
lawyer. Alas, it's incompatible with (L)GPLv2... technically I could
make a similar header myself and use it, but there's no decent somewhat
canonical URI to refer to a BSD license I can find.

Of course we're all plenty used to just mentally skipping all the
boilerplate, but I like pretty things anyway :)

> > This made me notice something though: lv2.h itself is LGPL
> (inherited
> > from ladspa.h). So, if you're implementing an LV2 host there's
> > inherently LGPL involved anyway.
>
> For me that's OK, an LV2 implementation would be of rather different
> purpose from a general store implementation. Though I can imagine
> others finding it difficult -- I've noticed some confusion about what
> exactly the LGPL means for use of the LADSPA header in the past.

We could attempt to contact everyone involved and get approval to switch
it and/or absolve themselves of copyright on it...

> > I am fully on the pro-GPL card-carrying FSF member team
>
> I can see many cases for GPL libraries and BSD libraries, but I've not
> so often been convinced by the use of the LGPL.

The LGPL is wonderful. It lets you write a library that has the GPL
benefits (i.e. you can't take my code and proprietary-ize it without
sharing), while allowing proprietary projects to make use of the
library.

In a world free of selfish dickheads, public domain would be all we
need. In this one, the LGPL is nice :)

-dr