Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 17:52:05 EET

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:39:04PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> the position that i take with N-point editing is not that there is
>> some other way to do "the following". There isn't. its that the way of
>> approaching the task that leads to needing to do "the following" is
>> rooted in an older way of thinking about the overall workflow.
>
> Tell that to your customer when he (or she in this case) wants you
> to replace part of an edited track with the same fragment from
> another take.

i'm confused about who the customer is. the older way of thinking
about the overall workflow is an attribute of the engineer/editor, not
the singer.
if the engineer/editor is the customer, i'd tell them to use another
program right now because ardour doesn't support their workflow. i try
not to spend much time convincing people to work in a different way
than they are used to, it seems pretty pointless to me since i don't
really believe that one way is superior to the others (though some are
definitely more connected to ideas rooted in some kind physical
operation like tape splicing).

hint: there's no reason to replace the section from [2:03 to 2:27]
with another take at all.

> Now I could have told her that what she wanted was 'rooted in an
> older way of thinking', or that she was stupid and should have had
> that bright idea before we had done the five edits following this
> fragment,

that would just have confirmed that you have the skills to be abrasive
and difficult to get along with when you choose to.

> but I didn't and actually performed the edit to her
> satisfaction.

much better idea.