Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 20:07:51 EET

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 17:33 +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
[...]
> This RDF turtle format is surely a beautiful thing when you write or read it,
> but it requires such a parsing machinery...

The serd reader is about 1300 lines of C with no dependencies.

> What about an alternative format intended for lightweight packaging and parsing?
> It would take the turtle metadata and convert it into a text file which could be
> parsed with about 100 lines of C. It may not work for all plugins, but maybe for
> the vast majority of them?

If you want a /really/ simple to parse RDF text format, it's ntriples.
The actual data itself would become significantly larger than the space
you save in the parsing code. I doubt this would be a net space savings,
unless very few plugins are involved. You could gzip it or something,
but then the plugin format is broken/wierd and you need even more
machinery...

libserd.so is 34K on my 64-bit machine (compiled with -Os), and that
includes an abbreviating serialiser. If you stripped it down to the
reader it would be significantly smaller still (let's say halved).

> At least I'm thinking about that kind of solution for packaging for Android.
> Some kind of pre-parsing/metadata-simplification at packaging stage to avoid the
> need for bundling a full-fledged parser.

Is that "full-fledged" parser really too big? You can't spend ~20K in a
program that's loading plugins and doing audio processing? Let's keep
things in perspective here: this parser is about as large as a simple
plugin or two, and certainly smaller than some. I don't think claiming
this is an unacceptable implementation size for using those plugins is
at all reasonable. The heavyweight parsing machinery problem is a thing
of the past.

-dr