Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 02:03:09 EET

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:17:40AM +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> Does point #1 mean we basically may want visualization that expresses
> only a few properties of a certain waveform?

Yes. Waveforms displays are completely useless for normal
audio engineering. You may need them for technical purposes,
when doing maintenance or testing. But there it ends.

Interesting properties are peak level, RMS level, spectrum,
etc. and their short term history.

A waveform just contains too much information that is in
almost all cases irrelevant. It's easy to find waveforms
that look completely different but sound just the same.
Or some that look almost the same but sound very different.

--
FA