Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins.

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 03:54:09 EET

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 20:36 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
[...]
> well, almost. as i mentioned, AU doesn't really route parameter
> changes via the host, it just makes sure that the host can find out
> about them. the nicest part of the AU system is the highly
> configurable listener system, which can be used to set up things like
> "i need to hear about parameter changes but i don't want to be told
> more than once every 100msec" and more. its pretty cool.

Do you think this could be adequately expressed as a few fixed cases,
like "full data transmission", "rapid updates" (very roughly once every
few blocks and/or screen refreshes), "moderate updates" (very roughly
every second or so), "slow updates" (very roughly every few seconds)?

This would be much more feasible within the framework of LV2 UIs for
various reasons (and seems more reasonable anyway, since the host can't
really guarantee accuracy to a specific ms interval). If similar
benefits could be had without having to invent a hulking parameter
polling API, that would be nice...

Lars' proposed new UI extension has dynamic "inform me about this port"
API (rather than static data for this as in the current UI extension),
so stuff like this should be considered.

-dr