Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins.

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 06:40:06 EET

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 19:50 -0800, Sean Bolton wrote:

> >> " The design of VST 3 suggests a complete separation of processor
> >> and edit
> >> controller by implementing two components. Splitting up an effect
> >> into these
> >> two parts requires some extra efforts for an implementation of
> >> course.
> >> But this separation enables the host to run each component in a
> >> different
> >> context. It can even run them on different computers. Another
> >> benefit is
> >> that parameter changes can be separated when it comes to
> >> automation. While
> >> for processing these changes need to be transmitted in a sample
> >> accurate
> >> way, the GUI part can be updated with a much lower frequency and
> >> it can be
> >> shifted by the amount that results from any delay compensation or
> >> other
> >> processing offset."
> >
> > I would just like to point out that many/most of the movers and
> > shakers
> > in this community have been advocating (often with much opposition) a
> > full plugin/UI split for years. I guess now that the commercial guys
> > have finally gotten around to it the stupid arguments (e.g. that it's
> > not needed because VST or whatever doesn't have it) go away. Hooray.
> >
> > For the record: It's now official that the old VST way was garbage,
> > and
> > a complete plugin <=> UI split is an obvious requirement, not
> > unrealistic idealism or a topic at all up for debate.
>
> Hmm, if you want a "complete plugin <=> UI split", doesn't that mean
> something like the lv2_external_ui extension, which puts the UI in
> a separate process (perhaps even on a different computer), rather
> than the libsuil approach that could easily lump the host, numerous
> plugins, Qt, GTK+, and who knows what else (GL? SDL? segfaults?)
> all into one process? Or am I not understanding what you mean by
> "complete split"?

No, the issue is communication between UI and plugin.

Whether or not the UI runs in the same process as the "UI host" is a
different thing entirely.

(Also, note that Suil could do the separate UI process thing too. Suil
is not an "only in-process" library, it is a library to deliberately
abstract the entire question away. Right now it's all in-process because
embedding is awesome and there's no reason to do otherwise and lose it)

-dr