Re: [LAD] engine, validation, ui separation,

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 20:55:06 EET

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 11:30 +0000, James Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question, where does validation of parameters belong?
>
> Invalid params might crash the engine, so some validation should go there.
>
> But if the job of validation is down to the UI, the engine can be more
> efficient.
>
> But if multiple UIs are possible, validation effort is duplicated.
>
> How should I approach?

Plugins must gracefully handle out-of-range values, typically either by
clamping or ignoring. The ranges in LV2 are "soft".

There could be an extension for "hard" limits, as a micro-optimization,
but I don't know if one exists (or if the performance advantage of
avoiding an if or two is worth the hassle).

-dr