Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 21:26:44 EET

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 13:43 +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 01:04 AM, David Robillard wrote:

> >> Do you have a practical example of a plugin with a GL UI that would work nicely
> >> in Ingen?
> >
> > Like.. an actually existing one? No, as I said, nobody has done the GL
> > UI thing yet (AFAIK).
>
> No, I meant a new plugin, or a new UI for an existing plugin. What do you think
> it would be nice for, in the context of Ingen? What would it do and how would it
> look like in the canvas?

An obvious example of where you'd want an embeddable UI on the canvas is
an ADSR envelope. Draw your envelope with vectory lines in this module,
apply it to this waveform, play the result when a MIDI event comes in.

This is all totally doable with any toolkit, of course. I can't think of
any really compelling example for GL, it's just another decent choice
for plugin UI implementers. It's not really host related, GL is suitable
for the things GL is suitable for in general... if you want a fancy 3D
waterfall visualization thing, GL is the obvious choice.

You could do some fancy things by using a shared GL drawable for all
modules, but that would mean Ingen would /only/ work with GL plugin UIs.
I can't think of a compelling actual need for this, it seems like the
kind of pointless pretty screenshot crap I deliberately avoid. Every
plugin having its own little UI widget implemented in whatever seems
just fine to me.

-dr