Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 05 2011 - 02:10:50 EET

On 03/04/2011 08:51 PM, David Robillard wrote:

> However, there is an extension a UI can use to get a pointer to a plugin
> instance, which is mostly what you are talking about:
>
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/instance-access/
>
> I do not recommend its use for any situation except where it is
> absolutely necessary. Its role is either:
>
> 1) Temporary kludge used for necessary plugin <=> UI communication
>
> 2) A way to get direct access to waveform data for visualisation or
> whatever, with graceful degradation where this is not possible

About graceful degradation, indeed, in my compressor example, you would
certainly have regular controls aside of the interactive visualization area.
Setting the threshold could be done graphically but also with say a knob. So it
would still work if direct access to waveform data is not available, the
visualization would be deactivated.

> Use 1 is a big red flag that says something is missing and/or broken.

> Use 2 is all good.

This sounds nice and solves the rich-visualization issue IMO.

--
  Olivier