Re: [LAD] Permafrost guitar amp, was Re: RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 06 2011 - 02:38:16 EET

2011/3/5 Tim E. Real <termtech@rogers.com>:
> [...]
>> be very bad because half of the distortion you will ear is due to
>> saturation into the power transformer. As a consequence, those
>> amplifiers are widely used by jazz musicians but almost never by rock
>> musicians. The laters will also often blow the power transformers.
>>
>> Another well-know mark is using good but small output transformers, as
>> well than better power transformers than the precedent one. The
>> consequence is than the sound is very good at full volume, but a rock
>> or blues musician will often blow the output transformers.
>>
>> Generally speaking, a common source of non linearities, and often
>> ignored, is due to a non adequate driver stage. Tubes are by design
>> made to work best at high impedance. To get a low output impedance,
>> you need a transformer. But that's expensive hardware, especially in
>> class A. Preamp and driver stages are class A stage, when the output
>> stage is generally a class AB2 push-pull where the grid can become
>> positive in respect to the cathode.
>>
>> Common tubes for such a push-pull are 6L6. According to the datasheets,
>> such tube can take 0.35 watts and the driver output impedance must be
>> lower than 500 ohms:
>> http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/021/6/6L6.pdf
>>
>> It is no one single guitar amp I know on the market with a driver stage
>> that can provide such a power to the output stage, and this is a major
>> source of non linearities when the output stage is driven at high
>> volume.
>>
>> It would be simple to design such a driver : one tube like a
>> triode mounted EL82 in a class A stage with a high quality driver
>> transformer. But it will cost too much money, so no one single
>> manufacturer I know is using such a design. It is too bad because such
>> this sound just terrific, the sound is clean and fully saturated at the
>> same time, and its dynamic is outstanding. :)
>>
>> Be also aware than the valves models used by simulation software like
>> spice are good for consumer audio equipments or sonorisation stages, but
>> than they don't take in account the saturation that a guitar amp will
>> provide. In other words, they are completely out of business in regard
>> to correctly simulate a guitar amp at high volume, or even a simple
>> preamp stage in saturation. For that, a much better approach would be
>> to use models based on the constant current family of curves:
>> http://www.agsrhichome.bnl.gov/AP/ap_notes/ap_note_97.pdf
>>
>> My 2c
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Dominique
>
> There's also some info at simulanalog.org, on the articles page, such as
>  "A complete model of a tube amplifier stage"
> http://www.simulanalog.org/tubestage.pdf
>
> Some of the articles talk about why many tube sims are not good,
>  why they fail to take into account IM distortion etc.
>
> I really like their very good plugins, especially the JCM900.
> If someone could make a LADSPA or LV2 version of these, I would be very happy.

From the paper:

"We suppose the model is operating at audible fre-
quencies, so it is not necessary to consider all the sec-
ondary effects, like the Miller capacity."

But the miller capacity is important for triode models, see here why:

http://www.aikenamps.com/MillerCapacitance.html

Aiken is a respected EE/tube amps builder...

I was playing with their JCM900 sim many years ago, and never
understood why they would model it instead of a JCM800 (much better
amp)...

Anyway I had a chance to test Serafini's commecral project "TH1"
(http://www.overloud.com) and don't find the sims to sound too
realistic.

Just my 0.02€.

Cheers,